We are currently trying our hand at road tripping with a toddler. It has been a bit of a rough haul, but there have been many good things along the way too. Our first stop is Bozeman, MT to visit Alex’s parents. They have a house there and love to spend the summers here. We have taken advantage of it to visit them 3 of the last 4 summers and we really enjoy Bozeman. It is such a cute town and has many of the things that I feel make up a great town:
1) A lovely place to stay! Alex’s mother, Carolyn, has been hard at work this summer transforming an empty house into a comfortable, cozy place filled with lots of toys for Walter.
2) Down to Earth Yoga Studio. All good vacation places must have an ashtanga studio so that Alex and I can take advantage of grandparents day care. At home we do the mysore two step (I start super early and once I finish Alex comes with Walter and we swap) so practicing together is a special treat. This studio is a room at the Emerson Cultural Center and the adjustments are just wonderful.
3) Rockford Coffee. I love to travel by finding all the cute coffee shops along the way. Rockford is fantastic. One word: Breve. This is a latte made with half and half. It is everything that makes me happy. Add one of their lovely scones to that and life is just wonderful. Alex and I stopped each morning after yoga and I looked forward to it all through my practice.
4) Museum of the Rockies. This was quite a find by Carolyn. Walter had such a good time that we went back two days in a row. There was a fantastic Yellowstone Park exhibit that was specifically directed at little guys. There was even a little cabin with an old timey stove that Walter loved. He spent a good half an hour yesterday playing with the oven and running around pushing buttons. There was also a dinosaur exhibit that both Alex and Walter thought was pretty fantastic. Did you know that Montana was a hot bed of dinosaur bones?
5) Cute shopping. There is an adorable main street with lots of cute shops for me to browse. I admit it, I really do enjoy shopping and looking for little things that we would really enjoy. I found a super cute hand made floppy hat for Walter last year, which he promptly outgrew so I am determined to find another one this year. The one catch is that this year Walter is not so excited to hang out in the ergo while I browse so so we will see how that works.
6) Hiking. It is breath-takingly beautiful around here. The Gallatin Valley is surround by the Rockies and they are just amazing. We haven’t made it hiking this year because of a cranky toddler who is having some trouble sleeping, but we have gone in the past and it makes me happy.